Local government plays a huge role in protecting and preserving the environment, and The City of Onkaparinga has a strong tradition of introducing positive measures and initiatives based on environmental and sustainability issues.
For that reason, a number of local environmental and community groups have contacted all the candidates standing for Mayor of Onkaparinga City, as well as those standing in the Southern Vales and South Coast Wards, to offer them the opportunity to introduce themselves to our collective membership, and to let us know where they stand on a number of key environmental issues in the City of Onkaparinga.
Each candidate was given the same ten questions to answer. Here are the responses of John Humphries, Candidate for Southern Vales Ward.
10 Questions Council Election
- Where do you live? What attracted you to where you live?
I live in Old Noarlunga. We moved here because it is a small community
- What’s your political background?
I am independent
- To which community groups or associations do you belong?
I belong to Raise Foundation, visit Eldercare, I am a volunteer at Seaford Community Centre, Food @ 5 Soup Kitchen for 9 years,
I am Chairperson of Childhood Cancer Benefit Concerts, and am league Team Manager of South Adelaide Football Club
- If elected, what will be your priorities?
- What are your policies regarding the environment and biodiversity?
Simply if we don’t look after our environment we have failed our Children
- Do you think the City of Onkaparinga should re-visit declaring a Climate Emergency?
Yes The Council should revisit the Climate Emergency because there is one
- How can Council accelerate decarbonisation within the community?
We must reduce emissions
- How would you make Onkaparinga a better place to live with less resource consumption?
- How would you, as Mayor or Councillor, aim to influence Elected Members to be effective decision makers?
- Do you have ideas for championing improvements in the energy efficiency and lower reduce carbon footprint of new and retrofit development, both domestic and commercial?