Local government plays a huge role in protecting and preserving the environment, and The City of Onkaparinga has a strong tradition of introducing positive measures and initiatives based on environmental and sustainability issues.
For that reason, a number of local environmental and community groups have contacted all the candidates standing for Mayor of Onkaparinga City, as well as those standing in the Southern Vales and South Coast Wards, to offer them the opportunity to introduce themselves to our collective membership, and to let us know where they stand on a number of key environmental issues in the City of Onkaparinga.
Each candidate was given the same ten questions to answer. Here are the responses of Janette Francis, Candidate for Mayor of Onkaparinga
10 Questions Council Election
- Where do you live? What attracted you to where you live?
Lived at Seaford Rise since 2008.
- What’s your political background?
I’ve been short term member of many political parties since 1990s but hadn’t liked any so now I’m not affiliated with any Party. Unlike yourself.
- To which community groups or associations do you belong?
No groups. Which means no favours.
- If elected, what will be your priorities?
A community elected representative’s priorities must only ever be in the best interests of their constituents as one group within the jurisdiction of council who are tasked by State government to collect land rates and use those to provide general proverbial housekeeping to residents. I’ve no specific agendas. Evidently you do.
For the remainder of the questions, Janette Francis referred us to her website, https://witch-hunted.com/Onkaparinga-City-Election-2022/
- What are your policies regarding the environment and biodiversity?
- Do you think the City of Onkaparinga should re-visit declaring a Climate Emergency?
- How can Council accelerate decarbonisation within the community?
- How would you make Onkaparinga a better place to live with less resource consumption?
- How would you aim to influence Elected Members to be effective decision makers?
- Do you have ideas for championing improvements in the energy efficiency and lower resource footprints of new and retrofit development, both domestic and commercial?