It was May 1995 that a group of local environmentalists, the Willunga Hillsface Landcare Group, opened a shopfront office in a small room at the front of 13 High Street, Willunga.
It was the first community-based Environment Centre in South Australia to open its doors to the public, and it went on to become the Willunga Environment Centre Inc., the leading environmental agency in the Willunga Basin.
The Willunga Environment Centre has been part of a wider, community-based movement in the Willunga Basin, and its members have facilitated or participated in a number of key projects that have contributed greatly to the region’s strong environmental credentials, including:
- Stopping the Marina Development at the Washpool, which led to a far greater community appreciation of this significant environmental and cultural resource.
- Green Corps project, run in 2008-9 by Simon Beed, which had youngsters not in work getting training and taking part in on-ground restoration projects.
- Regreening the Range, a massive revegetation and tree planning campaign along the Willunga Hills Face, which set a new standard for cooperation between landowners, local businesses, residents, environmental activists and all levels of government. Over 3,000,000 trees were planted over 3,000 hectares.
- The Heritage Protection Legislation for agricultural land around McLaren Vale, Willunga and Aldinga, which saw local residents working closely with the wine and tourism industries to protect the natural environment and prevent urban sprawl.
- The growing number of environmental and conservation groups in our region, and the ever-increasing community involvement in preserving the environment.
- The growth of environmental education, as seen through the expansion of the youth group YACCA, and engagement of youth throughout the region.
The Willunga Environment Centre has a huge range of resources available to the public including:
- FREE public workshops
- Tourist Information brochures
- Huge range of leaflets & brochures on environmental issues
- A great library full of environmental books and magazines
- Recycling facilities for batteries, light globes, mobile phones and aluminium
- Home energy audit kit
- Tool hire for seed and tree planting (Hamilton planters)
Call out for volunteers
The Willunga Environment Centre currently has openings for volunteer workers in a number of areas:
Social media management
Web development and management
If you’re interested in the environment, like talking to people and want to be part of a very friendly and welcoming community group, please let us know.
Volunteering is a great way to make that difference, gain experience, develop your skills, make friends and network with like-minded people.
Willunga Environment Centre
Janine Anninos, Manager
15 High St
Willunga, SA 5172
08 8556 4188
More info: willungaenviro.org.au